- Lives and planning to start a business in San Diego County
- Ready to launch a business within 0-3 months of completing the AAES –OR- Currently engaging in business activities and looking to formalize their business to take it to the next level
- Has a viable business idea
- Ideally has experience in the industry
- Able to commit to the schedule of classes
- Preference will be given to those interested in the loan incentive (see below)
- Preference will be given to low-to-moderate income individuals*
*Not a requirement
Schedule – Spring 2020
See class schedule here.
The program is broken down as follows:
- 9 class sessions to be held once a week on Tuesdays from 5:30pm to 8pm
- 1-hour on-one business counseling sessions
- In-person Business Presentation
- 1 graduation!
- In order to graduate and receive a Certificate of Completion from this training program, attendance is required at all sessions, including one-on-one counseling appointments. Refer to course schedule for dates and times. If you cannot commit to attending all sessions on the schedule, we recommend that you apply for the next scheduled training program.
- You must complete all in-class activities and homework assignments.
- Bring your workbook to each class session.
- Be respectful of your classmates’ questions and ideas. This course is an opportunity to share ideas, ask for feedback on your business project and learn from each others experiences.
- Participate in the group activities and demonstrate your commitment to starting your business.
- Be on time! Tardiness is distracting to the class and will not be accepted.
- This program is currently only available for San Diego County based start-ups.
As a small business lender, Accion recognizes the importance of access to capital to make any start-up business a successful venture. The most innovative feature of this training program is the opportunity for you to access the capital necessary to launch your business upon completion of the program. The maximum loan amount is $5,000 and is an optional feature of the program.
Participants who are interested will be evaluated on:
1) the viability of the business model* and loan size and
2) their personal character which includes, but is not exclusive to, class interaction, progress and commitment to completing required assignments.
If any participants are interested in larger loan amounts, you may apply for an Accion loan through our regular application process.
Here is some information about the Accion loan program:
- Loans for both start-up and established businesses
- Flexible credit requirements
- Terms up to 84 months and no prepayment penalties
- Fixed interest rates from 10% to 18%
*Accion highly encourages business models that will immediately generate revenue upon launch versus speculative business models (e.g. inventor, real estate investor, etc.).
**Accion retains full discretion of final approval of loan and loan size.
There is a $50 enrollment fee due on the second week of the program. This fee is refundable upon successful completion of the program or can be put toward loan closing costs if pursuing an Accion loan. If the program is not completed, the fee is non-refundable.